Tuesday, September 28th, 2010...10:47 pm

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Jump to Comments

Let me just start of like this, I love reading and I enjoy a few poems but I hate hate hate T.S. Elliot’s The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock. It is one of the most complicated readings I have had to read. After reading it a couple of times and listening to the class discussion I’m still confused on what T.S. Elliot is talking about. A couple of notes I got was that the poem is about J. Alfred Prufrock being in love with a girl but scarred to talk to her. I don’t know where someone read that but it makes sense. He’s a very complicated sad man who doesn’t have the balls to talk to women. Sorry for my language but it’s true. “Time for you and time for me,/And time yet for a hundred in decisions,/ And for a hundred visions and revisions,” fully proves my statement, maybe next time he will ask her out.

Another point that a class mate did was that Prufrock was full of insecurities. Maybe that is why he kept holding off on asking a girl out. When Prufrock mentions “[ The will say : “How his hair is growing thin!]”, he is talking about how the women will notice his bald spot. His insecurities also show when he mentions “[The will say : “But how his arms and legs are thin!”]” Maybe he is thinking to much of what they’ll say and not worry about what he should do in order to ask the girl out.

I still don’t fully understand the poem and in reality I gave up. It’s so long and complicated, OMG I never thought I would hate a poem soooooo much. I hope I never have to run into it again :).

Love Song Animation