Tuesday, November 30th, 2010...1:49 am

The Ending of Drown

Jump to Comments

To be honest, I enjoyed the first half of Drown more then the ending. Although it did have two good stories, “Boyfriend” and “How To Date A Browngirl, Blackgirl, Whitegirl, or Halfie”, I enjoyed a couple more stories in the beginning. I felt that they were more personal and had some more meaning. Maybe it’s just me.

I enjoyed “Boyfriend” and “How To Date A Browngirl, Blackgirl, Whitegirl, or Halfie” because just like “Aurora” (from the first half) they were different. Different in a way that I haven’t read a piece of writing like that before. It didn’t have much to do with the other stories but were very entertaining.

One of the reasons why I enjoyed “Boyfriend” was because it reminded me of a  friend’s personal relationship. In the story, not sure of it’s Yunior, Rafa or Junot Diaz himself over hears his neighbors conversation. They are a couple going through drama, “Boyfriend was trying to snake Girlfriend, saying he needed space / I saw him at bars and saw some of the girls he used to bring home while sh was away/ he just needed more space to cheat.” (111)

Like many guys, they never tattle on a another man’s game but he knows he was no good for her, “Homegirl was too beautiful, too high-class /She didn’t know nothing about his little Rico Suave routine. It would have wrecked her. ” (112,114)

The thing that makes this story very interesting is that as he hears the couple arguing, he starts remembering his ex girlfriend Loretta, “they sounded alot like me and my old girlfriend Loretta / ain’t nothing more shabby than those farewell fucks. I know. Me and Loretta had enough of those.” (111-112)

Even Though they remind him alot of his past relationship, it seemed it was a bad thing because he mentioned that he swore to himself he wouldn’t think about her. The relationship isn’t mentioned alot but bits and pieces make me believe that he really liked her but she did him wrong, “Crying all the time had made her more beautiful / Not for me. Loretta had left months ago and I still looked like hell.” (116)

It can’t compare to “Aurora” but this story was simple and nice. As I mentioned before it reminded me of a friend’s relationship, it didn’t work well but at the end she went on with life like the girl in the story did, she cut her hair short and did it to look fierce.

“How To Date A Browngirl, Blackgirl, Whitegirl, or Halfie” was another story that went another direction. It was funny because Junot Diaz actually made it like a step by step process on what to expect from a browngirl, blackgirl, whitegirl or halfie when dating one.

I doubt it was meant to be serious but I felt that Junot Diaz advise came from personal experiences. Here are some of my favorite sections of the story :

“If she’s an outsider her father will be bringing her, maybe her mother. Neither of them want her seeing any boy from the Terrace” (144)

“If she’s a whitegirl you know you’ll at least get a hand job” (144)

” A local girl may have hips and a thick ass but she won’t be quick about letting you touch / A whitegirl might just give it up right then / A halfie might lean back, breaking away from you” (147-148)

I found the funniest to be “If the girl’s from around the way, take her to El Cibao for dinner / If she’s not from around the way, Wendy’s will do.” (145) Wendys on a date, can you believe that? lol.

Although the ending of Drown had it’s funny stories, the beginning stories were still more interesting.

• I like the fact that you also commented on “Boyfriend” because a lot of us manly focused on “How To Date A…”. Also after I read your blog I thought she’s right those stories are different because they didn’t have much to do with the other stories. In general I agree Daiz’s writing is different from what I’ve usually read.