Monday, December 6th, 2010...11:27 pm

No Name Woman and White Tigers

Jump to Comments

Another great read so far :). I knew this book was going to be interesting because just like Drown by Junot Diaz, it is made up of short stories. Both No Name Women and White Tigers were very enjoyable and showed me a part of Maxine’s life that was very insightful. She is a women warrior not like Fa Mu Lan but a warrior battling with herself, her culture and being a women.

In No Name Women, Maxine is told about her aunt who killed herself and her new born baby because she had the baby out of wedlock. It was a story told to Maxine when she began to menstruate to scare her of bringing disgrace to her family. Her aunt is referred to as no name women. The family don’t really like to talk about her since they decided to pretend she had never been born. In this chapter I noticed that Maxine was battling against her family’s Chinese culture. Although her family was disgraced by no name women, Maxine tries to make excuses for her aunt’s doing, “My aunt could not have been the lone romantic who gave up everything for sex. Women in the old China did not choose. Some man had commanded her to lie with him and be his secret evil.”(6)

White Tigers was the chapter, that really showed Maxine struggling with her American life and her family’s Chinese beliefs. In China, Girls weren’t considered important to the family. They weren’t respected and were treated very unfairly, “There’s no profit in raising girls. Better to raise geese than girls.”(46) Since they were married off and didn’t contribute anything to the family, they were set aside, “when you raise girls, you’re raising children for strangers.”(46) Even Though Maxine came to America and studied in Berkeley, she was still haunted from her family’s Chinese beliefs, “I went to college – Berkeley in the sixties – and I studied, and I marched to change the world, but I did not turn into a boy.”(47)

The struggles that Maxine went through while living in China and America did make her a warrior in her own way. She struggled for acceptance in her family and eventhough they still didn’t see her as the straight A student she was, Maxine still kept on going like a warrior.

•   http://bestnaturalhealthsupplements.com
    March 19th, 2012 at 3:34 am

Thanks for sharing superb informations. Your web site is very cool. I am impressed by the details that you’ve on this site. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for more articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found simply the info I already searched all over the place and just couldn’t come across. What an ideal site.